Organisations seeking funding for capital investment to increase recycled content in products manufactured in Wales, or to extend the useful life-time of products, may apply for a Circular Economy Fund grant.
Eligible organisations of any size may either apply for a Small Scale grant from £25,000 to €200,000, or a Large Scale grant from €200,000 to £750,000.
This page provides everything you’ll need in order to progress with a Large Scale grant application. For information regarding Small Scale grants, please click here.
Please find below a brief overview of the eligibility criteria. Full details are available within this comprehensive guidance document.
- Applicants must be a registered legal entity.
- The project must operate at a location in Wales.
- Projects must increase the use of recycled plastic, paper / card or textiles in existing or new products (projects seeking to use other recycled materials will be considered on a case-by-case basis and must provide evidence of a market failure) or extend the life-time of products / materials through preparation for re-use, refurbishment or re-manufacturing activities.
- Project activity must go beyond ’state of the art’ industry practice.
- Projects must utilise materials from post-consumer / end-user sources.
- Projects must add value to recycled, re-used or re-manufactured products or materials.
- Projects should increase demand for materials to be recycled, re-used or re-manufactured and increase collection of those materials.
- Projects must be commercially viable (Technology Readiness Level 7 or above). Research and innovation activities are not eligible for funding.
- Projects should consider the environmental impact of products at the end of their useful life, and the extent of their recyclability.
- Projects must demonstrate that their viability is dependent on funding.
- Applicants must demonstrate that match funding between 30% and 65% of project costs, depending on business size and location, is secured.
- Waste processing activities and processes that involve ’energy from waste’ are not eligible for funding.
- Step 1: Successful completion of online Expression of Interest Form to access full application form.
- Step 2: WRAP Cymru review of completed Expression of Interest Form and applicant either sent an invitation to register on Delta to make a full application, or applicant contacted to discuss their proposal.
- Step 3: Delta invitees to register and then download, complete and submit a full application.
- Step 4: Panel assessment conducted, with proposals that best meet the criteria and programme objectives being selected for funding.
We would like to remind all applicants that the Circular Economy Fund is delivered under European Commission State Aid regulations. The UK exit from the European Union on 31st December may mean that we need to make essential changes to the way the fund is delivered. Applicants may be required to provide additional information on their applications, and there may be delays in delivering funding decisions. The fund remains open for applications for projects starting from 1st April 2021 at the earliest.
|31/03/2021||Deadline for submission of Online Questionnaire|
|14/04/2021||Online Questionnaire assessed|
|26/05/2021||Deadline for submission of full application|
|22/06/2021||Full applications assessed|
|01/07/2021||Applicants notified of decision|
Please note that we will be accepting submissions until 23:59 on each of the deadline dates specified above.
If you are unable to find answers to your questions, please submit them to our Circular Economy Fund team at CEFWales@wrap.org.uk
Large Scale Grant Programme Guidance
16 October 2020
30 May 2019