Organisations seeking funding for capital investment to increase recycled content in products manufactured in Wales, or to extend the useful life-time of products, may apply for a Circular Economy Fund grant.
Eligible organisations of any size may either apply for a Small Scale grant from £25,000 to €200,000 (the maximum de minimis threshold), or a Large Scale grant from €200,000 to £750,000.
This page provides everything you’ll need in order to progress with a Small Scale grant application. For information regarding Large Scale grants, please click here.
Please find below a brief overview of the eligibility criteria. Full details are available within this comprehensive guidance document.
- Applicants must be a registered legal entity.
- The project must operate at a location in Wales.
- Projects must increase the use of recycled plastic, paper / card or textiles in existing or new products (projects seeking to use other recycled materials will be considered on a case-by-case basis and must provide evidence of a market failure) or extend the life-time of products / materials through preparation for re-use, refurbishment or re-manufacturing activities.
- Projects must utilise materials from post-consumer / end-user sources.
- Projects must add value to recycled, re-used or re-manufactured products or materials.
- Projects must be commercially viable (Technology Readiness Level 7 or above). Research and innovation activities are not eligible for funding.
- Projects should consider the environmental impact of products at the end of their useful life, and the extent of their recyclability.
- Projects must demonstrate that their viability is dependent on funding.
- Waste processing activities and processes that involve ’energy from waste’ or chemical reprocessing to create fuel products are not eligible for funding.
- Step 1: Complete the Online Qualification Form. If you are eligible, you will immediately be provided with a link to the application form.
- Step 2: Click on the link provided to download the application form.
- Step 3: Complete the application form and submit it to CEFWales@wrap.org.uk
- Step 4: Applications will be assessed by a panel and you will be contacted with any questions.
- Step 5: All applicants will be informed of the panel’s decision in writing.
Applications for Small Scale grants can be submitted at any time until 23:59 on 10 March 2021 and will be assessed on the dates shown below.
Upcoming application deadlines
We would like to remind all applicants that the Circular Economy Fund is delivered under European Commission State Aid regulations. The UK exit from the European Union on 31st December may mean that we need to make essential changes to the way the fund is delivered. Applicants may be required to provide additional information on their applications, and there may be delays in delivering funding decisions. The fund remains open for applications for projects starting from 1st April 2021 at the earliest.
|18/12/2020||Deadline for submission of applications|
|10/03/2021||Deadline for submission of applications|
Please note that we will be accepting submissions until 23:59 on each of the deadline dates specified above.
If you are unable to find answers to your questions, please submit them to our Circular Economy Fund team at CEFWales@wrap.org.uk
Small Scale Grant Programme Guidance
29 June 2020
30 May 2019