We are not currently accepting new applications for Large Scale grants.
Organisations seeking funding for capital investment to incorporate or increase recycled content in products manufactured in Wales, or to extend the useful life-time of products, may apply for a Circular Economy Fund grant.
Eligible projects must:
- increase the use of recycled plastic, paper / card or textiles in existing or new products; or
- extend the life-time of products / materials through preparation for re-use, refurbishment or re-manufacturing activities.
Eligible organisations of any size may apply for a Small Scale grant for projects with total capital costs from £75,000 to £335,000, or a Large Scale grant for projects with total capital costs in excess of £335,000, with a maximum grant allowable of £770,000.
This page provides everything you’ll need in order to progress with a Large Scale grant application. For information regarding Small Scale grants, please click here.
Please note: The grants awarded under this programme fall under the remit of public funds. WRAP Cymru is required to award support in accordance with the UK’s international obligations on subsidy control. Further information can be found in the Guidance Document.
Please find below a brief overview of the eligibility criteria. Full details are available within this comprehensive guidance document.
- Applicants must be a registered legal entity;
- The project must operate at a location in Wales;
- Projects must increase the use of recycled plastic, paper / card or textiles in existing or new products or extend the life-time of products / materials through preparation for re-use, refurbishment or re-manufacturing activities, with the focus on furniture, electrical equipment and clothing, shoes and textiles;
- Project activity must go beyond “state of the art” industry practice;
- Projects must demonstrate the CO2e emissions avoided relative to landfill and incineration;
- Projects must utilise materials from post-consumer / end-user sources;
- Eligible projects must add value to recycled, re-used, or re-manufactured products or materials;
- Projects should increase demand for materials to be recycled, re-used or re-manufactured and increase collection of those materials;
- Projects must be commercially viable (Technology Readiness Level 7 or above). Research and innovation activities are not eligible for funding;
- Projects should consider the environmental impact of products at the end of their useful life, and the extent of their recyclability;
- Projects must demonstrate that their viability is dependent on funding;
- Applicants must demonstrate ability to match fund all project costs above and beyond grant funding;
- Production of secondary raw materials, e.g. materials reprocessing activity only that does not create a finished product or component, and processes that involve “energy from waste” are not eligible for funding;
- Projects must be fully implemented / commissioned, and all funds claimed by 31st March 2022.
- Step 1: Successful completion of online Expression of Interest Form to access full application form;
- Step 2: WRAP Cymru review of completed Expression of Interest Form and successful Stage 1 applicants sent an invitation to register on Delta to make a full application, and contacted to attend online workshop and present their proposal;
- Step 3: Delta invitees to register and then download, complete and submit a full application;
- Step 4: Panel assessment conducted, with proposals that best meet the criteria and programme objectives being selected for funding.
Please note that it can take up to 3 months following a panel decision for successful projects to be contracted and ready to begin. No project activity, placing orders or purchasing of equipment should be undertaken before a signed contract is in place.
|05/08/2021||Deadline for submission of Online Questionnaire|
|19/08/2021||Online Questionnaire assessed|
|24/08/2021||Successful Stage 1 applicants invited to Stage 2|
|27/09/2021||Deadline for submission of full application|
|12/10/2021||Full applications assessed|
|19/10/2021||Applicants notified of decision|
Please note that we will be accepting submissions until 23:59 on each of the deadline dates specified above.
If you have any queries, please refer to this Large Scale guidance document and our FAQs page in the first instance. If you are unable to find the answers to your questions, please submit them to our Circular Economy Fund team at CEFWales@wrap.org.uk