Organisations seeking funding for capital investment to increase recycled content in products manufactured in Wales, or to extend the useful life-time of products, may apply for a Circular Economy Fund grant.
Eligible projects must:
- increase the use of recycled plastic, paper / card or textiles in existing or new products; or
- extend the life-time of products / materials through preparation for re-use, refurbishment or re-manufacturing activities.
Eligible organisations of any size may either apply for a Small Scale grant for projects with total capital costs from £75,000 to £335,000, or a Large Scale grant for projects with total capital costs in excess of £335,000, with a maximum grant allowable of £770,000.
This page provides everything you’ll need in order to progress with a Small Scale grant application. For information regarding Large Scale grants, please click here.
Please note: the grants awarded under this programme fall under the remit of public funds. WRAP Cymru is required to award support in accordance with the UK’s international obligations on subsidy control. Further information can be found in the Guidance Document.
Please find below a brief overview of the eligibility criteria. Full details are available within this comprehensive guidance document.
- Applicants must be a registered legal entity;
- The project must operate at a location in Wales;
- Projects must increase the use of recycled plastic, paper / card or textiles in existing or new products; or extend the life-time of products / materials through preparation for re-use, refurbishment or re-manufacturing activities, with the focus on furniture, electrical equipment and clothing, shoes and textiles;
- Projects must demonstrate the CO2e emissions avoided relative to landfill and incineration;
- Projects must utilise materials from post-consumer / end-user sources;
- Eligible projects must add value to recycled, re-used or re-manufactured products or materials;
- Projects must be commercially viable (Technology Readiness Level 7 or above). Research and innovation activities are not eligible for funding;
- Projects should consider the environmental impact of products at the end of their useful life, and the extent of their recyclability;
- Projects must demonstrate that their viability is dependent on funding;
- Production of secondary raw materials, e.g. materials reprocessing activity only that does not create a finished product or component, and processes that involve “energy from waste” are not eligible for funding;
- Projects must be fully implemented/commissioned and all funds claimed by 31st March 2022.
- Step 1: Complete the Online Qualification Form. If you are eligible you will immediately be provided with a link to the application form;
- Step 2: Click on the link provided to download the application form;
- Step 3: Complete the application form and submit to CEFWales@wrap.org.uk;
- Step 4: Applications will be assessed by a panel and you will be contacted with any questions;
- Step 5: All applicants will be informed of the panel’s decision in writing.
Applications can be submitted at any time until the below deadlines and will be assessed on the dates shown below.
Upcoming Application Deadlines for Small Scale Grants
Please note that it can take up to 3 months following a panel decision for successful projects to be contracted and ready to begin. No project activity, placing orders or purchasing of equipment should be undertaken before a signed contract is in place.
|10/08/2021||Deadline for submission of applications|
|07/09/2021||Deadline for submission of applications|
Please note that we will be accepting submissions until 23:59 on each of the deadline dates specified above.
If you are unable to find the answers to your questions, please submit them to our Circular Economy Fund team at CEFWales@wrap.org.uk