Funded by the Welsh Government, WRAP Cymru has been providing free sustainable procurement support to public sector organisations in Wales since 2016.
Strategic support is available to embed sustainability into procurement strategies and activities. This can help Welsh public bodies to meet the Well-being Goals set out in the Well-being of Future Generations (Wales) Act 2015 (WFG Act).
What support is available?
Free strategic support is available to the public sector in Wales to:
- design policies and implement strategies to increase the procurement of low carbon and sustainable products, which include re-usable, re-used and re-manufactured products, and products made from recycled content; and
- drive cultural change to embed sustainable procurement across organisations.
The Welsh public sector spends approximately £6billion each year on goods and services. As such, there is significant opportunity for public bodies to use procurement to achieve positive environmental, economic and social outcomes, as set out in the WFG Act.
This approach also aligns with the Welsh Government’s Procurement Policy and Beyond Recycling strategy. The strategy is inclusive of eight ambitious headline actions to accelerate Wales’ journey towards a circular economy. One requires the Welsh public sector to prioritise the use of recycled, re-used and re-manufactured content in products purchased.
Taking a sustainable approach to procurement also aligns with the ‘Prosperity for All: A Low Carbon Wales’ delivery plan, which sets out a commitment for the public sector to decarbonise by 2030. This will require a fundamental change in the way goods and services are procured. Decisions taken now – in addition to longer-term procurement strategies – will influence the ability of the public sector to meet this commitment.
In collaboration with specialist consultants, WRAP Cymru offers a range of services including:
- Workshops with procurers and suppliers to raise awareness, explore best practice and identify solutions to enable sustainable procurement;
- Training for procurement staff on the principles and practice of procuring re-used products and products containing recycled content;
- Strategic spend reviews to identify opportunities and produce procurement strategies to source more re-used products or products containing recycled content, using a target, measure, act approach;
- Assisting in the production of sustainability specifications and criteria for use in procurement exercises;
- Producing bespoke contract management tools, and training procurers and suppliers on how to use them to enable accurate monitoring, reporting and management of supplier performance against specific environmental objectives;
- Options modelling to identify opportunities and strategic priorities (such as influencing factors including cost savings, carbon savings, materials reduction, delivery against the Well-being Goals etc.).
- Producing guidance and case studies for ongoing support.
How to request strategic support for your public sector organisation
To request support or to simply find out more, please call WRAP Cymru on 029 20 100 100 and ask to speak to one of our Business Account Managers. Alternatively, you can email the team directly at Resources.Wales@wrap.org.uk
We also encourage you to read the below case studies, which highlight examples of best practice. You will also find below a link to our public sector guidance on the procurement of plastics.